Read more details of the “Bike” olive tour
- Our meeting point is at the magnificent 13th century castle of Androusa, located in the heart of Messinia, just 20 minutes drive from Kalamata and 10 minutes from Ancient Messene. At this idyllic landscape we talk about the history, the tradition and the mythical story of the castle olive trees …we take our bikes and we plan our bike tour…
- We go biking until we reach the Olive grove & the perennial olive tree. We walk though the olive groves & learn and treat the perennial olive trees…find out the different varieties of the olive trees of the area and discover the story of the Messinian land as recorded on the stems.
- We bike to the center of Androusa Village & we visit a unique Olive Oil press mill that is located there for more than 120 years. The 5th generation owner will explain to us the procedure of the extraction, the storage and standardization process of the extra virgin olive oil in the past and nowadays.
- Τhe dining table is filled with the special blue olive oil tasting glasses and you are about to become a tasting expert! Taste the extra virgin olive oil of “Koroneiki” Variety and learn about its organoleptic characteristics…recognize the elements that define the extra virgin olive oil …taste different varieties of Greek Extra Virgin Oilve oil such us “Manaki”, “Xalkidikis”, “Mavroelia” etc and evaluate them…
- What about food? The extra virgin olive oil of different varieties is matched with traditional recipes including fruit, gourmet small dishes and surprises us. Tzatziki, kalamata olives, olive paste, lalagia, pasto and of course wine and ouzo!
The history, the soul, the tradition, the gastronomy of Messinia are reveled though the Olive oil paths… enjoy a unique experience in our endless olive groves filled with the wisdom, the flavor and the aroma of Peloponnese.