In only 10 minutes drive from our Olive Groves you can visit the city of Ancient Messene.
Messene is a significant ancient city in terms of its size, form, and state of preservation, and still has much to offer. It possesses not only sanctuaries and public buildings, but also imposing fortifications, and houses and tombs. It enjoys, amongst other things, the advantage of never having been destroyed or covered by later settlements, and is located on an unspoiled inland site. Its natural setting combines the grandeur of the mountains of Delphi with the low-lying, riverine tranquillity of Olympia, the dominating bare limestone mass of Ithome, the site of the ancient acropolis, with the low fertile valley around the ancient city.
Descending from Mavromati village, we reach the Museum. Passing through the vineyards and the olive fields, we see on the right the theatre of ancient Messene with its spectacular walls, and on the left, the Arsinoi Fountain. Moving on to a narrow path, we see on our left the Market, and after that, the sacred area of Asklipieion.
Ancient Messene was protected at its Northeast from mountain Ithomi, like a natural wall. The rest of the city was surrounded by strong walls of 9,5 km length, which can be admired up to date.
Find out more about Ancient Messene at
The castle of Androusa
The castle was built sometime after 1250 by the ruler of the Principality of Achaea Guillaume II de Villehardouin.
In 1381 became the seat of the Navarrese Company, a company of mercenaries, mostly from Navarre and Gascony, who fought in Greece during the late 14th century and early 15th century, in the twilight of Frankish power in the dwindling remnant of the Latin Empire
The company was hired to help James of Baux to claim the throne of Achaea. They were not very successful, but eventually they became the dominat rulers of the Pricipality of Achaea and Androusa was their seat.
In 1417, the Paleologi family, the Byzantine rulers of the Despotate of Mystras took the castle. In those times, around the end of the 14th century, it was one of the most important castles in Peloponnese.
In 1462 the Turks captured Androusa.
The impressive Monastery “Andromonastiro”
A monastic complex with fortifications and one defensive tower. It is abandoned for more than a century.
It was built during the reign of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos (end of 12th-beginning of 13th century). Since then, the monastery went through six additional construction phases.
Since 2011, restoration works started and which were completed in 2017.